It’s one of the iconic early 20th football fields that have survived into the 21st century, still used for its original purpose.
Ohio Wesleyan University’s Selby Field is the home of the Battling Bishops football team, as well as field hockey, track & field, and lacrosse. With a seating capacity of 9,100, all seats fall between the 15 yard lines of the field, making it a remarkable place to watch a sports contest. It remains one of the country’s largest Division III stadiums. More…
Just inside the main entrance to University Hall on the campus of Ohio Wesleyan University sits a piece of American history.
The item is a 10 foot tall frame made of black walnut, and housing a large pier mirror. The frame was a gift to the University by a former US President and his wife, a member of the OWU Class of 1853.
It is said that Rutherford B. Hayes, a native of Delaware, proposed to Lucy Webb Hayes on the steps of OWU’s Elliott Hall. What is certain is that the Hayeses maintained lifelong relationship with the University, and made more than one gift to the school during their lifetimes. More…
The location of Ohio Wesleyan University’s Sanborn Hall hearkens back to a key part of the university’s history.
It stands on Elizabeth Street on the Monnett Hall campus, an area named for the former Monnett Hall which stood near it. That building was constructed in 1857 to house the Ohio Wesleyan Female College, and for most of its life served as a women’s dormitory before its demolition in 1978.
That area seemed ideal to OWU Trustees when they received a generous gift from an alumna earmarked for a new music building. More…
Today we’re sharing another post in our Landmarks of Delaware County series.
There are few buildings in central Ohio as connected with regional and national history as that at 17-19 North Sandusky Street in downtown Delaware. This spring and summer, the structure is reconnecting with its past in a very visual manner.
It is believed that the three story Templar Hall was constructed about 1853 or shortly thereafter. It was certainly standing on June 6, 1856, when it was the scene for the first visit and speech of noted national political and social leader Frederick Douglass in Delaware (see more about that visit here). More…