By 1808Delaware – Updated with additional information
Did you know that President Abraham Lincoln was in Delaware during his lifetime?
Local historians are already aware that Lincoln’s funeral train came through Delaware County on the morning of April 29, 1865, passing through Ashley, Delaware, and Lewis Center.
It was noted at the time by news correspondents that when the train reached Ashley at 5:43 AM: “ Groups of people are clustered about the depot and the green lots surrounding. The men are all uncovered, and the women look, in deep sympathy as we speed onward.” More…
Through our “Delaware On The Map” series, we share posts looking at the history of Delaware County as that history is revealed on maps – maps of the area, county, and nation.
The initial post in the series can be read here.
The first fifty years of Ohio statehood saw the creation of counties and establishment of county boundaries – and then a re-shuffling of those boundaries, often by taking property from one and adding it to another or to an entirely new county. All of the above happened here. More…
Special to 1808Delaware
The Delaware County Historical Society (DCHS) has announced its upcoming county-wide cemetery and homestead tour and historical reenactment, taking place Sunday, August 28. The self-guided driving tour begins at 1:00 PM. Period reenactments begin at 5:30 PM at the Barn at Stratford (2690 Stratford Road, Delaware, Ohio).
This year’s tour has been extended to feature cemeteries in western Delaware County, including Radnor, Bokes Creek, Mill Creek, Oller and at the Depp Settlement near Shawnee Hills. Participants will be given map directions to the sites and homesites, and DCHS docents will offer brief commentary at each tour stop.
“This event offers members of our community the opportunity to learn more about several of our early and prominent settlers, through site visits, story-telling and live reenactments,” said Donna Meyer, DCHS Executive Director. “We encourage history lovers of all ages to join us as we bring local history to life.”
Participants may travel the route at their leisure between 1:00 PM and 5:00 PM. Food trucks and music will be onsite when the reenactments begin at the Barn at Stratford at 5:30 PM. Participants are encouraged to bring chairs and/or blankets for lawn seating. More…
With a setting on important routes heading to Lake Erie and freedom from Columbus, and with its known abolitionist leanings, Delaware County was on an important location for the Underground Railroad.
Many travelling along that fabled route found themselves along what is now Africa Road, which ran between Westerville and Africa.
An Ohio historic marker recounts how the settlement and the road got their names: “Samuel Patterson arrived in East Orange in 1824 and, within a few years, began to hide runaway slaves in his home. He also invited anti-slavery speakers to the pulpit of the East Orange Methodist Church, which brought Patterson and his neighbors into conflict with the bishop. Following their consciences, they became the Wesleyan Methodists and built a new church. A pro-slavery neighbor mocked them by calling their community Africa, and so East Orange was renamed. The village has disappeared but several homes owned by Patterson and his neighbors still stand in this vicinity.” More…
By 1808Delaware and the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium
What county boasts the oldest operating roller coaster in Ohio?
Not Erie County. The Blue Streak at Cedar Point dates back to 1964, but there is one older yet, and it was awarded a recognition of that fact earlier this month.
And yes, it is Delaware County!
The American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) unveiled an ACE Roller Coaster Landmark plaque for the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium’s Sea Dragon, the oldest operating roller coaster in Ohio. Sea Dragon, which opened in 1956, is also considered an ACE Coaster Classic owing to its traditional operating methods, including hand-pulled manual brakes and no seat dividers.
The designation as an ACE Roller Coaster Landmark is reserved for rides of historic significance. Sea Dragon is notable as the oldest roller coaster remaining from famed designer John Allen. More…
Special to 1808Delaware
This recorded program will be held on Wednesday, July 20 at 7 PM, and will featured the story of the wife of Nathan Carpenter, the first white settler in the county in what is now Liberty Township.
DCHS volunteer Sherry Carmichael will portray Irena Carpenter who came here with her husband in 1801. She will present a woman’s perspective of coming to the wilderness of the Ohio Territory. Working with the Powell-Liberty Historical Society, Carmichael has created the video and will be on hand to answer questions.
This program will be held at The Barn at Stratford, 2690 Stratford Road in Delaware. Tickets may be reserved at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/irena-carpenters-journal-a-womans-perspective-tickets-367711243227 or at www.delawarecountyhistory.org
There is no charge for the program but there will be an opportunity to make a donation. More…
We’re doing a bit of a “spin” today on one of our standard series.
We have highlighted stories of visits to Delaware County by important figures of literary, academic, artistic, and political history in a series we call “When Delaware County Welcomed.” Through those posts, we have looked back in time to consider all of the well-known individuals who have stopped in the city.
Of course, many of these visitors came to Delaware, both because of its larger population than other county communities and because of the presence of Ohio Wesleyan University. Occasionally, these guests would some from some distance.
One of the first major world political figures to visit Delaware arrived in the winter of 1852, visiting the city on a tour across the Midwest. Lajos Kossuth, also known as Louis Kossuth, was a Hungarian nobleman, lawyer, journalist, politician, statesman and Governor-President of the Kingdom of Hungary during the revolution of 1848–49. More…
The location of Ohio Wesleyan University’s Sanborn Hall hearkens back to a key part of the university’s history.
It stands on Elizabeth Street on the Monnett Hall campus, an area named for the former Monnett Hall which stood near it. That building was constructed in 1857 to house the Ohio Wesleyan Female College, and for most of its life served as a women’s dormitory before its demolition in 1978.
That area seemed ideal to OWU Trustees when they received a generous gift from an alumna earmarked for a new music building. More…
History records that Diadutus James Keeler, in addition to having a unique name, was an “enterprising man.”
Such a claim is borne out by the fact that after arriving from Vermont in 1819, he became an important farmer in Genoa Township and a recognized breeder of sheep and hogs.
Specifically, those would be fine-wooled sheep and China and Berkshire breeds of hogs.
Keeler was also one of the original elders of the Genoa Presbyterian Church More…
At only 26.19 miles in length, it is one of the shorter state highways in Ohio. That said, there are few which are more scenic.
Starting at a roundabout in Dublin, Ohio State Route 257 is, for much of its length, closely tied to the Scioto River. With a southern terminus at a roundabout where US 33 and State Route 161 intersect, the highway travels through Franklin, Delaware, and Marion Counties, ending at State Route 47 just west of Prospect.
In six years, State Route 257 will be celebrating its centennial. Originally, the highway included only the portion which travels northward from Dublin along the east side of the Scioto; it was then expanded beginning in 1935. More…