A bit of the old south may yet survive in, of all places, the northern reaches of Delaware County.
The beautiful Samuel Sharp House at 7436 Horseshoe Road, west of Ashley, is uniquely connected to the American Civil War. It was constructed about 1867 by Samuel and Lorinda Sharp, who had married 13 years earlier.
Samuel Sharp was the son of the well-known William Sharp, known locally as the “greatest bee-hunter” in Marlboro (then Marlborough) Township. The Sharps had several children whose given names, with the exception of one child, all began with the letter “L” — Laura, Landon, Lettie, Leslie, Lawrence, and…. Mary. More…
By 1808 Delaware
This week, Delaware’s Strand Theatre, one of the oldest continually operating movie theatres in the country, is again opening its doors after a few months of pandemic-forced closure.
The celebrate this local icon as it does so, we thought we would share a special edition of Landmarks of Delaware County by looking back at the day that “The House Beautiful,” as it was referred to by the Delaware Daily Journal-Herald, opened to the public.
The paper’s May 8, 1916 edition heralded the arrival of the theatre with a full page ad featuring a letter from proprietor Henry Bieiberson, Jr.. More…
The term “landmark” can certainly be applied to things other than buildings. A relatively new object can also be a landmark, depending on the context.
A good case in point is the magnificent Rexford Keller Memorial Organ in University Hall’s Gray Chapel on the campus of Ohio Wesleyan University.
The instrument, built and installed in 1980 by the Klais organ company in Bonn, Germany, is a four manual, tracker action organ with 82 ranks, 55 stops, and 4,644 pipes. It is the largest of the 12 Klais organs in the United States; as it so happens, one of the others is also in Delaware at Asbury United Methodist Church. More…
We continue our ongoing look at the historic resources of Delaware County with a stop in the Northwest Neighborhood, home of an extraordinary collection of nineteenth and early twentieth century residences and churches.
Today, we look at a house which might best be known as the childhood home of a prolific and prominent architect.
The house at 123 North Franklin Street is a magnificent Queen Anne style structure. It was built by prominent local merchant Edward Erford Neff, who was born in 1830 in Dover, Ohio. Neff was married to Mary Ann Glover in 1862, and the couple went on to have three children — John, Addella, and Clarence. More…
With a setting on important routes heading to Lake Erie and freedom from Columbus, and with its known abolitionist leanings, Delaware County was on an important location for the Underground Railroad.
Many travelling along that fabled route found themselves along what is now Africa Road, which ran between Westerville and Africa.
An Ohio historic marker recounts how the settlement and the road got their names: “Samuel Patterson arrived in East Orange in 1824 and, within a few years, began to hide runaway slaves in his home. He also invited anti-slavery speakers to the pulpit of the East Orange Methodist Church, which brought Patterson and his neighbors into conflict with the bishop. Following their consciences, they became the Wesleyan Methodists and built a new church. A pro-slavery neighbor mocked them by calling their community Africa, and so East Orange was renamed. The village has disappeared but several homes owned by Patterson and his neighbors still stand in this vicinity.” More…
Lovers of the arts in 19th century Delaware knew the venue on East Winter Street very well. Williams’ Opera House was s staple of the city’s cultural scene, with its four storefronts on the street level and the large auditorium/opera house on the second floor.
The building originally featured a large mansard roof, giving the appearance of a third story. The 1885 Sanborn Map of Delaware, shown here, called it a “French roof.” More…
One of the historic gems on the campus of Ohio Wesleyan University is gaining new shine these days.
The University is undertaking an $11-million project to renovate Slocum Hall, including the restoration of its iconic Reading Room and its 70-foot-by-20-foot leaded glass ceiling. Slocum Hall is one of 10 locations on campus included on the National Register of Historic Places. More…
By: 1808Delaware Staff
The three story building sits prominently on the southwest corner of Union and Winter Streets, just as it has since 1890.
The Hotel Blee may have had a troubled beginning, but it continues to provide residential space 130 years later — albeit of a more long-term variety.
The sturdy brick structure at 42-46 East Winter Street was built as a hotel to replace a frame structure on the site, but that purpose didn’t last long. While it is not known who built the building, it is known that a railroad conductor was either involved or purchased the property very shortly after construction. More…
The early decades of the 20th century saw public buildings built across the country, each making a statement about the importance of institutions housed inside their walls.
And, as a bustling city with a population nearing 9,000 inhabitants, a county seat as well as the location for a prominent liberal arts college, Delaware was exactly the kind of place where those investments were being made.
Over 100 years later, the city and the college are both benefiting from the erection of a classically-designed building that has stood the test of time. More…
By: 1808Delaware Staff
To celebrate Memorial Day here at 1808Delaware, we’re sharing another post in our Landmarks of Delaware County series. Our first two posts can be accessed here.
There are few buildings in central Ohio as connected with regional and national history as that at 17-19 North Sandusky Street in downtown Delaware. This spring and summer, the structure is reconnecting with its past in a very visual manner.
It is believed that the three story Templar Hall was constructed about 1853 or shortly thereafter. It was certainly standing on June 6, 1856, when it was the scene for the first visit and speech of noted national political and social leader Frederick Douglass in Delaware (see more about that visit here). More…
It’s one of the iconic early 20th football fields that have survived into the 21st century, still used for its original purpose.
Ohio Wesleyan University’s Selby Field is the home of the Battling Bishops football team, as well as field hockey, track & field, and lacrosse. With a seating capacity of 9,100, all seats fall between the 15 yard lines of the field, making it a remarkable place to watch a sports contest. It remains one of the country’s largest Division III stadiums. More…