The three story building sits prominently on the southwest corner of Union and Winter Streets, just as it has since 1890.
The Hotel Blee may have had a troubled beginning, but it continues to provide residential space 130 years later — albeit of a more long-term variety.
The sturdy brick structure at 42-46 East Winter Street was built as a hotel to replace a frame structure on the site, but that purpose didn’t last long. While it is not known who built the building, it is known that a railroad conductor was either involved or purchased the property very shortly after construction. More…
We are celebrating this, the 20th post in our Landmarks of Delaware County series, by presenting a uniquely historic county landmark in a new way.
To access the previous 19 posts in this series, visit this link.
The Myers Inn in Sunbury, built by the community’s co-founder Lawrence Myers, is a property powerfully tied to local history. It has had more than one life, and has generated a good deal of deserved attention. More…
In 1896, the campus of Ohio Wesleyan University welcomed a substantial new addition — a wonderful observatory constructed, according to a college catalogue of the time, “…after the most approved modern ideas.”
The building was the idea of noted OWU Professor Hiram Mills Perkins, himself an institution and one of the foremost academic astronomers of this day. He was so esteemed as Professor of Mathematics and Astronomy that the building was soon referred to as Perkins Observatory.
By 1808 Delaware
This week, we take a brief look at Delaware’s Strand Theatre, one of the oldest continually operating movie theatres in the country.
The celebrate this local icon, we thought we would share a special edition of Landmarks of Delaware County by looking back at the day that “The House Beautiful,” as it was referred to by the Delaware Daily Journal-Herald, opened to the public.
The paper’s April 8, 1916 edition heralded the arrival of the theatre with a full page ad featuring a letter from proprietor Henry Bieiberson, Jr.. More…
The term “landmark” can certainly be applied to things other than buildings. A relatively new object can also be a landmark, depending on the context.
A good case in point is the magnificent Rexford Keller Memorial Organ in University Hall’s Gray Chapel on the campus of Ohio Wesleyan University.
The instrument, built and installed in 1980 by the Klais organ company in Bonn, Germany, is a four manual, tracker action organ with 82 ranks, 55 stops, and 4,644 pipes. It is the largest of the 12 Klais organs in the United States; as it so happens, one of the others is also in Delaware at Asbury United Methodist Church. More…
It’s one of the iconic early 20th football fields that have survived into the 21st century, still used for its original purpose.
Ohio Wesleyan University’s Selby Field is the home of the Battling Bishops football team, as well as field hockey, track & field, and lacrosse. With a seating capacity of 9,100, all seats fall between the 15 yard lines of the field, making it a remarkable place to watch a sports contest. It remains one of the country’s largest Division III stadiums. More…
The early decades of the 20th century saw public buildings built across the country, each making a statement about the importance of institutions housed inside their walls.
And, as a bustling city with a population nearing 9,000 inhabitants, a county seat as well as the location for a prominent liberal arts college, Delaware was exactly the kind of place where those investments were being made.
Over 100 years later, the city and the college are both benefiting from the erection of a classically-designed building that has stood the test of time. More…
A bit of the old south may yet survive in, of all places, the northern reaches of Delaware County.
The beautiful Samuel Sharp House at 7436 Horseshoe Road, west of Ashley, is uniquely connected to the American Civil War. It was constructed about 1867 by Samuel and Lorinda Sharp, who had married 13 years earlier.
Samuel Sharp was the son of the well-known William Sharp, known locally as the “greatest bee-hunter” in Marlboro (then Marlborough) Township. The Sharps had several children whose given names, with the exception of one child, all began with the letter “L” — Laura, Landon, Lettie, Leslie, Lawrence, and…. Mary. More…
The house on Gorsuch Road is very much part of Delaware County history, as the location on which it sits has a 210 year-plus history.
The John Cook House was the home of John and Helen Tompkins Cook; John was a farmer who also dabbled in raising livestock. When he constructed the house in 1863, doing much of the carpentry himself, he was doing so on land owned by his family since the first decade of the 19th century.
John’s parents, Benajah and Cassandra Cook, came to Ohio after buying 4,000 acres of farmland for the princely sum of $1,700 (something tells us Harlem Township land goes for a bit more today). They were the first settlers from the east to settle here. More…