By Cole Hatcher
The Bishop Backers invite you to save the date for Winter Community Day 2024, a countywide Delaware celebration featuring free admission (with a canned food donation) to an Ohio Wesleyan University basketball doubleheader and a Delaware Expo that showcases local nonprofit organizations and businesses.
Bishop Backers Winter Community Day 2024 will be held Saturday, Feb. 17, at Ohio Wesleyan’s Branch Rickey Arena and Gordon Field House, 105 S. Sandusky St., Delaware. In addition to free admission, the event features free on-campus parking.
Organizations wishing to have a table at the Delaware Expo are asked to register online now at owu.edu/BishopBackers. Tables are $25 for for-profit businesses if paid at the time of registration or $30 (cash only) if paid on the day of the event. Tables are free for nonprofit organizations. The registration deadline for both groups is Jan. 31.
All participants are invited to collect canned goods in advance at their locations to contribute to the day’s food drive, which will benefit the Delaware County Hunger Alliance, a United Way of Delaware County initiative.
During the family-friendly Bishop Backers event, the OWU women’s basketball team will take on the Tigers of Wittenberg University, and the men’s team will battle the Yeomen of Oberlin College. It will be senior day for both teams, and the games will mark the last home competitions for the 2023-2024 Battling Bishops. The women’s game will tip off at 1 p.m., and the men’s game will follow at 3 p.m.
The Delaware Expo will be open from noon to 3 p.m. Feb. 17 and is expected to feature:
- A children’s play area with a gaga pit and fitness challenge courtesy of the Delaware Community Center YMCA.
- A visit from Columbus Zoo and Aquarium animal ambassadors between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- A chance to explore the Delaware Fire Department’s inflatable fire safety house with giveaway helmets and stickers for children.
- An opportunity to visit with dogs from the Humane Society of Delaware County.
- A chance to meet Battling Bishop varsity athletes.
- A free raffle for a big-screen television courtesy of First Commonwealth Bank and 50/50 raffles to benefit the Hunger Alliance.
Community Day is intended to bring people together for a free afternoon of entertainment and education, building on the strong sense of cooperation and collaboration that makes Delaware such a great community. The expo also will help businesses and nonprofit organizations to connect with potential customers and volunteers, including Ohio Wesleyan students and alumni.
The Bishop Backers is an organization of community advocates interested in sharing information about athletics and other events at Ohio Wesleyan and in connecting potential student-volunteers, interns, and employees with local organizations. Learn more at owu.edu/BishopBackers.
Source, Photo: OWU, Paul Vernon