By Cole Hatcher
The Lifelong Learning Institute (LLI) at Ohio Wesleyan University is offering 13 classes this fall, with topics ranging from exploring space, to unleashing your inner author, to buying an electric car.
For a $75 registration fee, individuals 55 and older are able to sign up for as many courses as they wish during the upcoming session, which runs from Oct. 9 through Nov. 17, 2023.
The six-week classes are taught by volunteers, including current and retired Ohio Wesleyan professors, accomplished OWU alumni, and other experts in a non-competitive environment. All classes will be held in person unless otherwise noted. Scheduled fall classes are:
- Montgomery Clift: His Method and His Madness
- Travel the World (or Closer to Home)
- Universal Studios and their Magnificent Movie Monsters
- LLI Potpourri:
- Getting to Know Your Right to Counsel
- The Clinton Impeachment in Historical Perspective
- Cognition and Brain Health – Preventing Mental Decline
- Francis Beverly Kelley: Life with the Circus and Other Adventures
- Viewing the 2024 Solar Eclipse
- Give Me Your Poor, Your Tired, Your Homeless (Some Restrictions May Apply): The United States Immigration Policy in the 21st Century
- Wowza! Writers Circle
- In the News…:
- Recent Advances in Artificial Intelligence: ChatGPT and Other Large Language Models
- Ohio’s Legalization of Marijuana
- Global Warming – The Great Dilemma
- The Pros and Cons of Buying an Electric Car
- Preparing for Continued Growth in Delaware County
- The Pipe Organ and Its Music
- Raise Your Spirits
- How Much Do You Know: Civil War Events
- My Life As A… (Ohio Wesleyan graduates discuss their career paths.):
- My Life as a NASA Scientist with James Oberg, OWU Class of 1966
- My Life in the World of American Art and Antiques Roadshow Expert with Debra Force, OWU Class of 1975
- My Life in High Tech from OWU ’til Today with George Conrades, OWU Class of 1961
- My Life as a Novelist with Richard North Patterson, OWU Class of 1968
- My Life as a Journalist and Newspaper Editor with Greg Moore, OWU Class of 1976
- Space Exploration
- Raising Your Tech-Savvy
- Aging Mastery
Online, mail, and telephone registration for fall session opened Aug. 28 and runs through Oct. 2. Thanks to a grant from SourcePoint, the LLI is able to offer a limited number of $50 scholarships for the fall session. Scholarship applications are due by Sept. 25. Gift certificates also are available.
For additional class descriptions (including dates, times, and instructors), scholarship applications, and online registration, visit owu.edu/LLI. Confirmation of course registration will be sent to each paid registrant.
Launched in 2019, the Lifelong Learning Institute at Ohio Wesleyan University is committed to helping people “discover ideas, acquire knowledge, and fuel your curiosity” with fall and spring sessions each year. For questions, contact the Lifelong Learning Institute at firstname.lastname@example.org or (740) 368-3078.
Photo: Registration begins Aug. 28 for Lifelong Learning Institute classes at Ohio Wesleyan University. Fall offerings will include an exploration of the pipe organ and its music with OWU professor emeritus and professional musician Joseph Musser, Ph.D. (Photo by Kit Weber ’20)