Each year, hundreds of students and teachers gather for the Educators Rising Conference, a place where students interested in a career in education can meet their like-minded peers, participate in professional development sessions, compete in events that showcase knowledge, and gain skills needed to succeed in the teaching profession.
This year’s event was held on March 9-10 at Capital University in Bexley.
Twenty-three high school students from all four Olentangy high schools competed.
This is the first year Olentangy students have joined an Educators Rising chapter, which received awards for being an Honors Chapter, based on overall chapter GPA and service work, first place for Chapter Display, and first place for Service Project Competition.
The following Olentangy students and teams placed in the top 10 in the state:
- Lexie S. (OBHS), Job Interview
- Ellie J. (OHS), Ed Rising Moment (4th place)
- Glenn M. (OHS), Public Speaking
- Aly J. (OLHS) & Lexi W. (OHS), Children’s Lit. PreK
- Leanne D., Andrew E., Nicole B. & MacKenzie C. (all OHS), Ethical Dilemma
- Darren S. (OLHS), Impromptu Lesson Planning (1st place)
- Jaylynn B. (OHS), Maddie D. (OHS), Shawn O. (OOHS), Emma G. (OLHS), Researching Learning Challenges
- Carly C. (OHS) & Adison C. (OBHS), Children’s Lit K3 (5th place)
- Leah (OBHS), Interactive Bulletin Board, Silver
- Giovanna S. (OLHS) & Ava B. (OLHS), Project Visualize, Gold
Teacher for these students was Mrs. Sunday Weakley. Finalists will move on to Nationals in Washington D.C. in June.
Educators Rising is a national, non-profit organization that provides opportunities to America’s middle and high school students to explore careers in Education. Olentangy’s Educators Rising chapter is part of the district’s Teacher Academy program. Teacher Academy is a rigorous program that combines a state curriculum in teaching with an internship at various Olentangy schools and classrooms. Students earn college credit in Education for completion of the program. The Teacher Academy program is located at Olentangy Academy.